If you love working with children and want to start a career involving them, then working as a childcarer can be very rewarding. The Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) is Australia’s independent national authority that helps national and regional governments manage the quality of childcare and education. They stipulate education and first aid certification needed in Melbourne, Sydney and the rest of Australia.
What Qualifications Are Needed For Family Day Care Educators?
Family Day Care (FDC services) qualifications relate to the education and care of children by a qualified person in a home environment and are detailed in the National Regulations.
The qualification requirements of a Family Day Care Educator are as follows:
- You must hold or be ‘actively working towards’ the minimum of a recognised certificate III level education AND care qualification.
- If you are in South Australia, you will need to hold at least a recognised certificate III level education AND care qualification.
The NQF legislation recognises you as being certificate III compliant if you:
- Have passed a recognised certificate III qualification, OR
- You have passed a previously approved certificate III level qualification (this applies to qualifications achieved prior to 1 January 2012), OR
- You don’t have the abovementioned qualification, but ACECQA has approved an equivalent qualification that you have passed.
In addition to the abovementioned qualifications, to provide a family day care service, you must also carry a valid first aid qualification.
What Qualifications Are Needed For Family Day Care Coordinators?
A Family Day Care Coordinator’s job is described as being more managerial in that the person is required to be in charge of a childcare centre, create and enhance its services, effectively manage and deploy resources and attend to human resource matters. In this instance, the Family Day Care (FDC services) qualifications relating to the education and care of children by a qualified person in a home environment are slightly different.
The qualification requirements of a Family Day Care Coordinator are as follows:
- You must have passed a diploma that qualifies you as an educator from a recognised institution, OR
- You must have passed a previously approved diploma level qualification (this applies to qualifications achieved prior to 1 January 2012), OR
- You don’t have the abovementioned qualification, but ACECQA has approved an equivalent diploma level qualification (education-related) that you have passed.
If you are based in Queensland, then the following information applies:
- If you have passed a previously approved diploma level education AND care qualification in Queensland before 1 January 2012, it must be published on Queensland’s former approved qualifications list.
An additional requirement is that even if your role title is coordinator and not education, you will be providing education and care to children and therefore must have a current first aid qualification that covers anaphylaxis management and emergency asthma management.
Get your first aid training in Melbourne today!